Sunday, December 5, 2010

Skipping church

Sunday December 5, 2010

I didn’t go to church this morning. I honestly just didn’t feel like I could pull off the enthusiasm expected. I told Julianna that I was not feeling well, which, in fact, was sort of true, I did have a bit of a headache and definite backache (an ongoing issue upon waking here), but I could have gone if I had felt (emotionally) up to it. It ended up being for the better as, it turned out, the service was extended for harvest festival (in recognition of Farmer’s Day I presume), making it a 5 hour service rather than a 3 hour one!! I do feel like I have marked the day with a spiritual practice of my own- self Reiki (thanks to an Ipod of meditations I downloaded from Mom before leaving). I also feel like I am paying a penance and have not managed to actually miss church service as the church down the back way from me has some very powerful speakers and has been blaring (the sound quality is atrocious, making it even more pervasive) their service, shrieking minister, exhuberant shouting congregation and all, since this morning (we are going on hour 6 at this point!).  

This weekend I am feeling like I was ready to go home, with the constant noise, dust, heat, religious fanaticism, a little cabin fever at times (I am not supposed to go out alone remember, so I end up, when not with Appiah, Julianna or Fei, literally locked up in the house) and lack of privacy (I had kids here off and on yesterday; last night Martha came by at 9pm with another set of new friends to visit the Abruni- I feel like a circus act- and Linda came by again this morning at about 8:30, to the front door this time at least, “Kym, Kym, Kym…”hello…Kym, Kym, Kym” and trying the door, peering through the windows etc.. I sent her away). Enough is enough. Linda was here 4 times yesterday and all afternoon. I had to send her and her young cousin home at 5:30. I now know why Julianna had discouraged me entertaining kids here. It starts with one or two and then they return with their friends (their “brothers” and “sisters”) at all hours. Like I said, I feel a bit like a circus act. I think I will speak to Marta. If she sincerely feels the need to connect with a female figure, fine, but she comes alone so we can talk. Last night was a giggle fest which I was not in the mood for. Anyway, I know this is all part of the experience, including the feeling of it “all coming to a head” and feeling like I want to go home. I have done enough traveling to know this is part of the process and also what adds to the learning experience and the value, upon reflection, when I am back home in my familiar surroundings and quite possibly even wishing I were here again! Fickle human…

Abaa came in today with some Po Pos (a local fruit- orangey red in the middle; the outside kind of look like a cacao pod actually) for Fei (I encouraged him to take on home to his family) and then began to sweep the floor, with the intention of sweeping and then mopping the entire house (because of the red dust in the air here this time of year, this has to be done regularly). It was strange to be sitting, having breakfast, watching him work. It made me think of what it must be like in South Africa, where it very common for whites to have black servants. I also thought about the southern States before the abolition of slavery, what it might have been like to be a conscientious, ethically minded white landowner; what would you do? The experience, as you can tell, was not a comfortable for me, so I ended up taking the opportunity to clean as well (Abaa ended up sweeping and mopping the floors and I wiped down the furniture, light switches, bathrooms etc..) There was no way I could just sit there and watch him work! 

Mom and I spoke about the religious zeal here and how to see it is just a different way of viewing and expressing spirituality and appreciation of/emphasis on positive values.  This has been what I have been thinking about as well, trying to tell myself that even when Appiah is playing his gospel music on his phone when he comes by, it is good, he is focusing on such a positive, responsible way of being, and get my head away from thinking of organized religion from my superficial standpoint as brainwashing and a loss of independent thinking. I’m trying.  

I did some research last night on distance learning for Samuel (Appiah) and I have sent an email for information to an Alberta Distance Learning High School one of my past Sedbergh’s students is using for her grade 12 year.  It has the option for text-based curriculum rather than online exclusively, and the option to fax assignments rather than emailing them, so they are obviously aware of the constraints of some students regarding internet access.  I don’t know how this sort of thing works with regards to the Ministry of Education here and whether or not a degree completed through this sort of program will be recognized or whether it even needs to be, say, if Appiah decides to go to University outside of Ghana. There are many questions that need answering before we can finalize this, so it is doubtful I can arrange this before I go, besides, the computer issue needs to be sorted out first, for the school as well as for Samuel (if the school’s are up and running, he might be able to access the computer lab off hours as he works here).
I just had Abaa and Samuel here for a late lunch/early dinner. I laughed, thinking about my nieces and nephews, seeing their healthy Aunty Kym drinking coke and frying plantains… they do love their fried foods here. Why is that I wonder? I know that the African Americans are famous for their “soul food”: and affinity for fried foods like chicken and fritters etc.. Hmmm.

Off to watch a local soccer/football game. After which Samuel is coming over to check out the info on the distance learning and then to study Math. THIS should be fun- the Math I mean. It’s been awhile for me, like, say 25 years, awhile…

New phrases (fist 2 make me laugh)
Eventually (maybe I already wrote this one): Nkra ka nkra
I am hot: O huhu ademe (phonetically spelled)
When someone is leaving: Nante yie (actual spelling): means “walk well” - lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment