Friday, December 10, 2010

The Purchase of the Multifunction Printer and the Investigation of Ants or Termites


Friday, December 10, 2010



It is 8pm and I am already in bed, of course, after a few regular young visitors, along with the usual new tag-alongs. I did have yet another letter delivery from a much younger student then those I am teaching. It was very difficult to understand the letter beyond that she loves me and wants me to be her friend. She wasn’t able to clarify when I asked her to explain some of the lines in the letter. It turns out her sister wrote the letter. I asked Linda to ask her to tell me what she had asked her sister to write and the only thing I could understand from the exercise is that she wants me to give her something, a schoolbag or something. I explained, through Linda, that not all white people are rich and that to be a friend to someone is to want to GIVE to them, not to GET. I ushered away all my visitors at that point anyway (I had a read a story to them by then and was ready to close up shop). I came away feeling a little disappointed, as I do when kids see me and instantly ask for money. I haven’t quite sorted out my reactions on this yet, knowing that I do care about the plight of those in need. 

I had my French exams this morning and began at the top of the mountain of marking this afternoon. I didn’t get very far before Kamaka, the senior art teacher and artist, came by for a quick visit. I commissioned him to make some Xmas presents for the family. I am wrestling with my feelings on this, too, having spent money on this that could have been used here (i.e. given to Samuel, bought a modem for Julianna etc..), but I do want to have some nice momentos to give and, my consolation is, I supported Kamaka. He is a terrific individual, with the kind of connection with kids like I have. He respects them and obviously cares for them and tries to inspire them. He, too, finds it hard to see the way teachers are here with students (often terse, harsh and “power-tripping”- I have also seen this in North America by the way, in a less stark way, but existing nonetheless). He is known as The Rasta, having committed his life to this religion, become vegan and grown dreadlocks. He said that he is often treated as a foreigner here because of this, being mistaken for a Jamaican.
Ben and I gave Kamaka a lift into Kumasi on our way to finally pick up the multifunction laser printer!! We will install it on Monday. Oh, “get this”, after my griping about Julianna not wanting the beige computer set up in her office,  it “kicked the can” and is no longer useable anyway. Because we are down to only 4 computers, the printer will have to stay in the computer lab, under the supervision of the IT guys- Ben and Emmanuel. They can be the “point people” for any printing, scanning etc.. that needs to be done at the school. Fei doesn’t want to allow all the staff to be directly using it as it will be more prone to damage (the rather rough-around-the-edges manner of many of the people here, I would tend to support his decision).

Abaa showed me that what I had assumed, all this time, to be a mound of earth, was, in fact, a massive ant or termite “hill”. The little critters are in the tens of thousands and it appears that the males (if I understood Abaa right) are the ones with heads (and pincers) double the size of their torsos! They are actually scary to see, as you know they will take a chunk out of you. I got this viewing as I had asked about the hundreds of insect wings on the driveway. It turns out these are the wings of the females who are drawn to the light at night. Kids here, generally, are just not fascinated like our kids back home are about nature. I tried to persuade my young visitors to join me in my examination and exploration but they had no interest whatsoever. 

This made me think about the goats being pulled by cords around their necks or chickens being carried in a cluster by their feet, across the busy city streets. I asked Ben about this and he explained that they have most likely been sold and being brought to their buyer for slaughter. He was amazed that most of us in Canada do not know how to slaughter and clean our own animals. I explained that the connection to the source of our food is becoming an issue with our youth. I have to say, though, that here, they may be connected to their food sources, yet are disconnected from the understanding and appreciation of the natural world, of biology, of the “web of life”, beyond its use for humans, that is. I know I am generalizing and there are biologists and others working for Ghana’s land and animal protection, conservation and preservation, yet, they must be fighting an uphill battle against economic pressure and cultural doctrine and ignorance.

I am off to bed to be able to catch up on sleep and be rested to be picked up at 7am for a wedding! Apparently it is such a large wedding that there are 2 ceremonies to accommodate everyone in the church (Fei’s church).

 You know what is really weird? That so few people wear shorts here. The traditional clothes are all long, and most people, in the heat of the day are wearing long pants or skirts. Women have gotten into the fashion of shorter skirts, but, it is rare to see someone in shorts. Children more so than adults but still, unless is a school uniform, is rare. Ben asked me today if I was wanting to change before leaving to go into town. I deciphered that the impetus behind the question was I was wearing shorts.


I am aware of the time here drawing to a close, with it the mixed feelings: a sense of anticipation of the familiar, the cool clean air and quiet of home, yet  a sadness for the upcoming goodbyes and knowing there will, once again, be a whole world between these new friends, colleagues and acquaintances, and the young kids I want to support and encourage.

Link to a few photos:  http://picasaweb.google.com/kpedicelli/20101210?feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment