Sunday, December 12, 2010

Church going Sunday


Sunday, December 12, 2010 Noon
Groovin' in church beside the bride and groom- Pat and Anthony

I am just back from this morning’s church service at the school. It was actually enjoyable; it was a reasonable temperature (I made sure to turn on all the fans when I arrived and sat right under one), the preacher’s sermon was not as lengthy as last time and there seemed to be more singing and dancing so we weren’t sitting for long periods. What I found lacking in yesterday’s reception was made up for today, as the bride and groom are members of this small intimate church congregation. Their union was honoured by the preacher, speaking about gratitude to have a wedding within their community, about  love and partnership and other things I did not understand (there was much laughter and whoops and hollers too, so I gather there was talk of children). 
The preacher preachin'
 
I was leaving feeling content only to be waylaid by one of the senior students (one who I have bought her tie dye school project from and have yet to receive), Gifty. She told me it was her birthday tomorrow (she is 20 years old), and, then asked what I was going to give her?! I don’t even know this kid beyond buying a piece of fabric from her and she has the audacity to ask for a gift? She is also one of the students who is fairly well off, so it strikes me as even more selfish. I was so taken aback (not sure why I would be, I should be used to this by now) that I only responded that I would wish her a happy birthday and that presents are not given to those who ask for them. I will speak to her more tomorrow about the inappropriateness of making assumptions about people based on their skin colour and about being selfish. She is one of the lucky ones to be in school, well clothed, fed, able to do art (takes that much more money) and is completing school this year (unlike Appiah, at 21, who still has another 2 ½ years and no way of knowing if he will have the money to complete his studies).  Just like how we preach to our children, she should be thankful for what she has, and not greedy for more, to the point where she is asking for gifts from complete strangers. Aauugh!
To balance out this encounter, I came back to the guest house to Abaa cleaning the floor. When I thanked him, he told me there was no need, I am his sister and he my brother and this is what brothers do for sisters (and vice versa), we support each other (I am translating from his broken English).  That felt better and soothed my agitation from the conversation with Gifty (ironic name).

This afternoon I am marking exams and do hope I can be efficient and not have to turn away too many visitors. Samuel will be coming by later for science help and I would like to be done by then.
Afehyia pa!  This is Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Twi. The exact translation is “year gone around good”.  By the way, they say Merry Xmas here (as in pronouncing the X and then “mas”) I laughed when I heard Ben speaking about his X-mas holidays. He said that Ghanaians will pronounce words exactly as they see them. I have overheard Fei say this too. Fuuuny.

The next Michael Jackson
 
Link to pictures:  http://picasaweb.google.com/kpedicelli/AdumasaChurchService?feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment